Friday, June 5, 2009

RIP Chris and Philip

Today’s passing of Dr Chris O’Brien aged 57 to cancer and also my own bowel surgeon Dr Philip Douglas whom I found out recently had passed away from cancer earlier this year, were both cases of good men who died too soon. Philip was only 53 and one of the most gentle, kind doctors I have ever met. By the time I met Philip Douglas I had experienced many painful operations and was impressed by his unwillingness to subject me to any more, rare in a surgeon. But he knew I had been brutalised by all the surgeries and he knew it would take many years to recover from them.

Both were champions for cancer care in Australia and indeed the world and both died well before their time. It is particularly hard when people with cancer lose their doctor to that disease, they must feel so disheartened. They will both leave a vast gulf in the lives of people who knew them. May they rest in peace and may their families draw comfort from all the suffering they helped assuage in their all too short lifetimes.


6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry : (

    And I agree. They died too soon.

    I think unfortunately compassionate doctors like that are becoming rare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad....

    It is terrible to lose someone so young.

    I hope someday there will be a cure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that, Kathleen. Far to young to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that Phoilip was a committed Christian so he and his family would have drawn strength from that in the all too quick progression of his disease. I read that Chris wrote on Catholic websites so he too must have had a spiritual support base too.

    I have found so many doctors are clueless with people....they know the disease but not the impact on teh families. These two were not like that at all.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sad news. Cancer is so cruel. Condolances.

    Author

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good men , taken too soon.Tragic like Fred Hollows too and Vicotr Chang.
    It is hard to understand.
    Their legacy will live in and in case of Prof Chris the cancer care centre will be named in his honour

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat, please talk to me!