Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mistaken for Magic

Yesterday while the world celebrated forty years since the moon landing many of us over fifty quietly reflected on our memories of the event. I was in high school when it occurred and remember it being the only time when we were called into a room to see anything on television.

I do not remember the logistics of how they managed to get an entire high school of students to view the moon landing simultaneously but I do remember the feeling of being part of something very special and I remember just how excited our teacher was . I can't remember for sure but I think it might have been our history teacher...I do remember him saying you are living history here ...this moment in time...this is happening NOW.

What is that expression, youth is wasted on the young? The same could possibly be said for history...certainly for me anyway these events went largely over my head and I did not really understand the impact until I was much older. How I hope that I was really excited...I think I would have been as I so remember the teacher's excitement...

After all I loved Star Trek and I read all the science fiction books by Isaac Asimov and anyone else that I could get my hands on! I know now how incredibly fortunate we were to experience that but how sad that these things we experienced when we are young are not fully remembered...not in the way they would be today with the technological advances which help us to record events.... often seeing the impact worldwide in seconds. My father phoned me tonight...I should have asked him of his recollections of the day. I will phone him tomorrow to ask him if he was home that evening to see it on the news.

Maybe one of the reasons that I do not remember it well is because so many changes were going on in the sixties, The Vietnam War, The Civil Rights Movement in the US and of course we were teenagers....we took things in our stride. And, maybe it was because we expected more things like that magical event to happen in the future that we are so disappointed now that space exploration as such has stalled. Sure we have the Space Station and great advances in medical science have come about through that but we were so far ahead of ourselves then...so far ahead it seems inconceivable that we did it but we did...we landed on the moon...not once.... but six times.

Remember Aurthur C Clark's third law of prediction?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Let us not talk about this to our grandchildren as some sort of myth tinged with magic, let us all hope for and encourage and campaign for manned space flights to Mars and Phobos....we need to do this as a species..exploration and challenge and discovery....these are vital to us as a race.

Oh by the way one very interesting and well researched movie which shows the vital role that
Parkes in Central NSW played in the Mooon landing is The Dish, which stars Sam Neil and many fine Australian actors.

What are your memories or thoughts of this event? My dear friends who read my blog Linda ad Ann, do you remember who the teacher was and just how many televisions they brought into Wyong High School forty years ago? Better yet any teachers from Wyong High School forty years ago out there who could help jog my memory? You never know Linda and I found each other again through my blog magikquilter after almost thirty years!

3 comments:

  1. This post reminded me that my father's evacuee parents (who became a sort of extra surrogate set of grandparents to us) never believed in the moon landing. They were born approximately 1890 so they would have been around 80 ish when the moon landing occurred. They both swore it was government propoganda and declared it was actually filmed in a studio. Nothing any of us said would change their minds.
    I remember watching the moon landing on the television at home but I don't remember any excitement amongst teachers at school ~ they didn't seem to make a fuss over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen,
    I have to admit, I barely remember it - but you're right things like this aren't generally grasped when they happen. It's often in retrospect that the experience becomes more vivid. I wonder too if it's more because we are not in the moment as much as generations before us were. Always distracted with insignificant things. It was an incredible accheivement even by today's standards.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Author....that is fascinating about your father's evacuee parents...and maybe understandable...how different from today when we are so often blase about new developments in science etc

    Annie...how great to see you back....i thought you had left for ever...checked your old blog a while ago and did not think to check your link until CJ told me he found you on Wordpress!

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat, please talk to me!